Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Did you know that the iconic Valentine's heart shape is not actually based on the shape of a human heart, but rather on the shape of the buttocks of a female bending over? " - Amy Farrah Fowler




It’s Valentine's day! And according to my facebook needs feed, my friend’s are either; 1.) super happy because their significant other has sent them an array of typical Valentine's day gifts, such as flowers, candy, cheesecake, cards, stuff animals with “I wove you” signs sewn into the cheap Chinese made fabric, 2.) Proud of themselves because they please their significant other by surprising them with an array of typical Valentine's day gifts, such as flowers, candy, cheesecake, cards, stuff animals with “I wove you” signs sewn into the cheap Chinese made fabric and are probably going to have sex as a reward for a job well done, or 3.) very aware and very bitter by the fact that they have no one to give or receive an array of typical Valentine's day gifts, such as flowers, candy, cheesecake, cards, stuff animals with “I wove you” signs sewn into the cheap Chinese made fabric and are more than likely not going to have sex with another person today. Or even tomorrow. 

So instead of writing bitterly about, yet another “singles awareness” day alone, I decided to research a quote that has interested me for quite sometime. For those of you who are fans of the awesomely nerdy show The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon’s, “girlfriend”, Amy Farrah Fowler says the above quotation. As it turns out, because the writers on this show are clearly awesome and do their research, it is true.... to a point. It has also been suggested, and I’m not going to lie I googled/wikipedia this information because actual scholarly research would take to long and I’m getting hungry, the seed of the Silphium plant, which was used as a herbal contraceptive in ancient times, was the inspiration for the modern day heart symbol. Also, and a more obvious inspiration, is the Lamprocapnos spectabilis “bleeding heart” plant. I’m not sure what the ancients did with this plant, but I’m sure it was used for either medical or recreational benefits. Apparently smoking plants for fun has a long linage in human history. Thank you Egypt.



It has also been suggested that, not only the buttocks, but the “pubic mound” and the “spread” vulva as inspirations for the modern day heart symbol. Oh, gentlemen, if you have no idea what the “vulva” is, please google it. Just heed my advice and don’t google it at work. And don’t tell anyone that you did. You’re welcome. And that’s all I have to say about that. 

And finally, the image on the cover art for the movie Secretary makes more sense.


Happy bending over buttock day folks! 

Word count 438

No comments:

Post a Comment